There are very many people who wonder how to build a chicken coop, they are not alone, A chicken coop is a small house that you build for the chickens that you intend to take care of, the chicken coops are nowadays becoming very popular. The good thing about chicken is that they are not choosy they require very minimal requirements in order to stay healthy and for them to lay eggs regularly. There are people who believe that the chickens are strong and that they can survive on their own, but that’s not true the chicken can be prey to many animals like the hawks, snakes and raccoons.
How to build a chicken coop step by step
The chicken coops are built in order to protect them from the harsh weather conditions and from the predators. Here are a few steps that can guide you on how to build a chicken coop.
- First you have to decide the size of the coop that you want to build, the size should depend on the number of the chickens that you want to keep, and also how big is the area that you want to build the chicken coop is.
- Make an outline for the coop, this will be used as the guide while building the coop, you can create your own layout or you can choose one from the internet that will satisfy your needs.
- Carefully choose the materials that you want to use, if your coop will be mobile choose materials that are light such as the PVC pipes as frames and the tarp for the walls and the roofs. For the coops that are fixed choose the wood for the frames, the chicken wires for the walls and aluminum for the roof.
- If you have any experience in carpentry, how to build a chicken coop will be easy for you. But if you don’t know how ask assistance from someone who has the experience on how to build a chicken coop.
How to build a chicken coop: factors to consider
There are factors that you need to consider when you want to build a chicken coop. since they are not choosy, you will need to consider a few things for them to stay happy and healthy, also you will have a chicken coop that is very easy to clean and you can keep it in good condition.
- Land and climate: – it is very essential to have the right location for your chicken coop. the ground should be even and hard so as it will be durable and helpful for the chickens. In places where the soil is soft and it rains a lot the chicken coop should be raised above the ground. If the place is very cold use materials that are thick or use insulation since it will prevent the chicken from feeling cold during the cold season.
- Size: – remember that when creating a chicken coop you need to have the right size, you need to estimate the number of chickens that you intend to keep. If you can’t find a perfect fit for the coop you can always build a bigger coop, small coops will make the chicken crowd and this will lead to the spread of diseases or in extreme cases cannibalism.
- Light: -the chicken are dependent to the light for their life cycle, they sleep when its dark and wake up when its sunrise. You have to build windows in order to allow adequate light into the coop and they should be in the direction of the sunrise. The windows also enhance air circulation in the coop and reduce the bad smell especially when you are cleaning the coop.
- Budget: – this is a very essential factor to consider when learning how to build a chicken coop. for you to go through with your plans you need to know how much you will spend before you start building. There are ways that you can use to reduce the cost of construction, this is by buying cheaper but useful materials, however you need to know the materials that are safe for the chicken.
How to build a chicken coop: 3 essential tips
There are quick and easy designs that you can that you can use when building a chicken coop that is safe and pleasing to the eye. Here are a few guidelines that can help you on how to build a chicken coop.
- Keep your coop warm and bright:- When you build the chicken coop properly it’s not only been well ventilated but also warm from the cold winters, to get this insulated the walls of the coop, since it will prevent the chicken from getting wet and assist to hold the heat in the cold seasons. Install the coop with good electrical system that is inexpensive and cheap to maintain.
- Build an easy to maintain chicken coop: – there are designs that ensure that your cleaning is easy, one you can put doors that open inwards and not outward. You can also build the floor of the coop slanting towards the door so that when you pour water and disinfectants, it will drain outside without much effort.
- Build a safe coop: – the chickens not only need protection from the predators but also from natural elements such as the snow, heat and rain. Where you build the coop is very important for the safety of the chickens. Build the coop in high ground that is well drained so that when it rains the coop will dry quickly. To protect the chicken from the predators, bury the exterior runs with chicken wire at a depth of 1 foot, this will put off any predator.
As you have seen learning how to build a chicken coop involves time and experience from you, you should not be quick to build the coop. and don’t expect that there won’t be any obstacles on the way. Make sure that you invest more time in the most important preparations like learning how to build a chicken coop, and then you will construct a safe chicken coop with self-confidence