Kitchen lighting is very necessary keeping in mind that Kitchen is the busiest room in the house. It is one of the most important rooms in a home thus it deserves some extra special lighting treatment apart from just fixing a normal bulb. With the various lighting designs it is necessary to brighten up your kitchen space. It is however very unfortunate that numerous people out there overlook their lighting, focusing on their taps and worktops but what good are all these for if they are not shown off properly with the right lighting.
Main types of Kitchen Lighting
There are three main types of kitchen lighting that are used to give ambiance to your kitchen room. You should consider using any of the three types of lighting or a combination of them to bring up beautiful results in your kitchen. Here are the main types of the kitchen lighting used:-
- Ambient lighting:-This is a general lighting which should be used for the whole kitchen area. Depending on the amount of light you prefer in your kitchen you could use on or a set of three pendants over your kitchen bar or table to create an ambient lighting mood. There are numerous stunning designs which can bring together the whole design of your kitchen.
- Kitchen task lighting:-This is a more focused type of lighting which is used over the sink, cooker or any other food preparation areas to allow you see what you are doing or preparing. Examples of such lighting includes down lights, track lighting and under cabinet lighting.
- Accent Lighting:-This is used to highlight the features in your kitchen like the cabinets, cooker, alcoves or artwork n any case. Down lights, wall lights and different shelf lights can be used to add the fresh look to your kitchen. You may be amazed at how much you can change the look and feel of your kitchen by simply changing the type of lighting that you use.
Kitchen Lighting ideas and tips
Over the years the kitchen has evolved from a mere location of eating and food preparation to a glorified store room, place of eating and a place to cook everything you need. Here are a few tips and ideas on how to keep the lighting in your kitchen at its best:-
- The kitchen lights must be designed in a way that appropriate light is provided in all the areas especially those that are frequently used.
- It is significant to consider using long lasting and energy efficient light options so as to save money and avoid changing light bulbs with irritating frequency.
- One incandescent light bulb is not enough to illuminate the entire kitchen hence it is much efficient to use a full size fluorescent light since they are considered to be the most energy efficient bulbs and they convert less energy to heat unlike the incandescent bulbs.
- Using two different switches for task lighting and general lighting will contribute to a more energy efficient kitchen as one will only turn on the lights needed at a specific time hence energy cannot be wasted in the unoccupied areas.
How to choose the best Kitchen Lighting
Lighting can add a fine and glamorous touch of style to your kitchen. Whether you are trying to choose the appropriate class of lights or simply add a little finish of lighting in your kitchen you need to do it the correct way . Here are a few tips on how to choose your kitchen lighting:-
- You need to consider how reflective the counter tops so as to avoid a harsh amount of light to your eyes when cooking or preparing food.
- The amount of energy you want to use so as to help save energy.
With the appropriate lighting complimenting the size of the kitchen and its interior color you can now royally enjoy cooking and dining. Kitchen lighting is the second thing to elegant furnish and decorating your kitchen as it will compliment your kitchen design and give it that heavenly look